Excellent contractors are very hard, but finding one that you can trust and dependable is even more harder. I have had great ones and some I just want to scream & pull my hair out. So, I decided to give you some tips on finding contractors, warning of home improvement scams, and a list of contractors & various vendors that I think it would be a value to you.
Here Some Tips on Hiring Contractors
- Ask for referrals & check the Better Business Bureau of Southern Piedmont.
- Find out if they are licensed
- Do they have designation (National Kitchen & Bath Association, National Association of the Remodeling Industry, National Association of Homebuilders)?
- Interview the contractors first & check their references.
- Ask what kind of insurance they carry (personal liability, worker’s compensation or property damage coverage)
- Ask for proves of insurance certificate & make sure they are bonded.
- Always have a written contract
- Never pay Cash to a contractor
- Always try to limit the down payment to contractors.
- Try to split the payments: Beginning, During & Completion
- Always ask for a written warranties for materials and workmanship.
Never Make the Final Payment Until You the Followings
- Have a Sign-Off Checklist that indicate the standard of workmanship, any written warranties, any proofs of payments to sub-contractors or suppliers, approved from inspectors, the site is clean up and you are satisfied with the work.
SIGNS OF SCAM
- knocks on your door for business or offers you discounts for finding other customers
- just happens to have materials left over from a previous job
- pressures you for an immediate decision
- only accepts cash, asks you to pay everything up-front, or suggests you borrow money from a lender the contractor knows
- asks you to get the required building permits
- tells you your job will be a “demonstration” or offers a lifetime warranty or long-term guarantee
- doesn’t list a business number in the local telephone directory
- state attorney general or local consumer protection office
- home builders association
- Local media’s call for action lines
- dispute resolution programs
For More Information
- National Association of Home Builders
- National Association of the Remodeling Industry
- The American Institute of Architects
- ENERGY STAR
MY VENDOR LIST
- Frederick Services: 704-698-6138 (Don Frederick “General Contractor”) Repairs, renovations & design.
- Broker’s Choice: 704-904-4789 (Russ Halbertadt) Repairs & Listing Preparation
- S&B Handyman Services, LLC: 570-533-3131 (Chris)
- Rick & Rick: 803-577-3121 & 704-291-9300(Rick Roberts Sr.) Painting interior & exterior, and Home Improvement.
- Renaissance Painting Company: 704-560-6033 (Ted Perna)
- Railing Painting: 704-281-3706 (Jorge Railing)
- Accent Comfort Service: 980-406-6071 (Tim Goodman)
- Digital Home System: 704-889-5000 (Richard Shepard) Home Theater, Multi Room Audio, Structured Wiring & Lighting Control
- Intelligent Technologies: 704-845-0849 (Charles Walker) Audio/Video, Lighting Control Systems, Home theater & Automation, Computer Network & Structured Wiring Systems
- Watson’s Floor Covering, Inc: 704-654-9087 or 704-573-7868 (Greg Rudisill)
- Viking Hardwood Floors, Inc.: 704-201-8874 (Oleg Bonar)
- C.I.S Carpet Installation & Sales: 704-712-5507 (Neal H. Rushen)
Plumbing, HVAC & Bathroom Glass Contractors:
- HVAC Service: 704-575-0291 (Tony Cato)
- Benjamin Franklin Pluming & HVAC: 980-722-3014 (Jason Clavey)
- Bile Brothers Heat & Air: 704-855-5574
- Eastern Glass Company: 704-289-9200 (Briam Hale)
- BareFoot & Company: 704-821-7688 (Ronnie Grigston)
- Glass Doctor: 704-847-4527/704-634-4486 (Christian Simpson) Home, Auto & Business
- Advanced Roofing & Exteriors: 704-999-4130 (Kevin Sweeny)
- Taylor Roofing: 704-840-4386 (Tod Taylor)
- Dula Construction: 704-599-4833 (Steven Dula)
- Muddy Girl Inspections: 704-763-1375 (Shannon Lavery)
- Home Inspection Carolina: 704-542-6575 (Preston Sandlin)
- HHI (Helms Home Inspection): 704-221-3383 (Scott Helms)
- Ballantyne Stagin & Design: 704-930-9639 (Shelley Walker)
Home Warranty Companies
- First American Home Buyer Protection: 800-698-0422 Ex.6335 (Joy Kiser)
- HMS Home Warranty: 704-905-7796 (Cynthia Roberts-Wiley)
- Home Warranty America: 224-532-5467 or 847-243-7239 (Lynn Gibson)
- Contruction & Yard Services: 704-226-7815 (Darrin Wilson)
- Ron Dean Mowing: 704-634-1137
- Davidson Bros. Tree Farm & Nursery: 704-426-0947 (Patrick Davidson)
- PIE (Plant It Earth): 704-583-9595 (Mark Kennedy) Lawn, Tree & Shrub Care
- City Wide Moving Systems: 704-841-7001 (Kathie Locklear)
- Light Speed Moving Company: 704-931-3164 (Indy Smith)
Pest Control Companies
Miscellaneous Vendors That You Might Need
- Banfield Pet Hospital: 704-844-6676 (9911 Rea Rd, Charlotte, NC 28277)
- Q Cleaners & Laundry: 704-845-8220 / 704-544-3471 ( Marvin Town Center)
- Hull & Coleman Orthodontics: 704-684-8080 (Wesley Chapel)
- Velocity Sports Performance: 704-588-1770 (Joshua Graham)
- Pop-A-Lock: 704-596-673/ 704-953-2931